Sunday, July 25, 2010

Goodbyes Are Tough...


In a few hours, we'll leave the Maasai Lodge for the airport and begin our long journey home. We are scheduled to land at 3:15 pm; by the time we get our bags, clear customs and get our Super Shuttle ride, it will probably be after 4:00. I'm charging my phone as I update the blog, and will loan it to students to call parents with our ETA at 181 Lincoln Place.

We left the Mara just after 10:00 this morning, after competing in the Maasai Olympics. The Maasai guys who work for Westminster Safari brought out clubs, a spear, and a bow with arrows and challenged us to a friendly match. They beat us handily, but we didn't do so badly, considering none of us has ever had to throw a spear or club before! It was a fun way to spend time with the guys, of whom we've all grown really fond, before leaving for Nairobi.

On our way out of the Mara, we stopped at a rhinoceros conservation center. Rhinos are so endangered that there are really none of them left roaming in the Mara, so one doesn't see them on game drives anymore. We were excited to go see some before leaving Kenya. What we didn't realize is that we could walk up to the two year-old, Kofi, and even pet him! If you ever get the chance to scratch a rhino behind the ears, I highly recommend it!

Back in Nairobi, our incredible hosts at the Maasai Lodge gave us a terrific send-off, complete with Maasai dancing and a traditional blanket, worn tied over the shoulder. There have been a lot of goodbyes today: to the guys at the camp and our drivers; to Guy at Westminster Safari and his pal Sam; to Robin, who can spot animals from unbelievable distances; to the staff here at Maasai Lodge; and later to Rebeckah and Shani, who have become like family. I think I can safely speak for everyone here when I say this has been a transformative two weeks, and it has everything to do with the people we've been honored to meet here. We can't wait to show you our photos and share our stories!

- Mr. Clarke


1 comment:

  1. I'm not even there, and I've got tears in my eyes. I can imagine how emotional these last hours have been for all of you. You all have done wonderful things these last two weeks and I hope you bring back some of the purpose you traveled to Kenya with,i.e., an appreciation for what one person can do to make life a little better for someone else.

    I absolutely can't wait to see you, Alex.--Mom(and Dad)

    ReplyDelete